Lambton Wildlife Incorporated (LWI) has been protecting nature for over 50 years by bringing those with a love of nature together to work towards common goals in conservation, preservation, and protection of the natural environment in Lambton County. Through a range of programs and events we aim to foster an environment that encourages appreciating, learning, and teaching about the natural environment. In order to continue the voice and values of LWI, we must reach out to our younger generation to provide them with positive experiences in nature.
Nature deficit disorder may be a coined phrase but the symptoms are real. Today children are spending half as much time outdoors as they did 20 years ago with much of this time now devoted to viewing digital media. Time spent playing outside is correlated with increased physical activity, mental creativity, decreased aggression and better concentration in children. Recent research has also shown that children who play outside are more likely to protect nature as adults. The most direct route to caring for the environment as an adult is participating in “wild nature activities” before the age of 11. This is where we come in. (more…)
The November 15th deadline for Lambton Wildlife Inc.’s photo contest is fast approaching! With a diversity of wildlife and landscapes showcasing Lambton County, the gallery of entries displayed on the site thus far are wonderful. However, we could still use a lot more entries, especially for the youth excellence category.
If you haven’t submitted your photo(s) yet, there are still many reasons to, such as:
1) It’s free! No purchase, no entry fees, yes please.
2) You can win prizes! There’s over $1000.00 in prizes going to be given away. Need I say more? I will.
3) Submission can be done online today! Although things aren’t perfect, you don’t have to rely on pigeons or posts to submit your photos. Just check out the 2016 photo contest tab for more info and if you have any problems contact us and we’ll be more than happy to help.
4) The odds are in your favour! Especially youth! We do not have many entries so far, which means your chance to win is higher. All categories could use more entries, especially youth. The odds of winning right now are higher than you might think. We know we have talented youth and children out there who are skilled with the camera and would like some of these great prizes. What a great way to get your name out there too!
5) You and your photos will receive recognition from Lambton Wildlife and could be featured in Lambton Wildlife’s promotional materials and Earthways newletter! Amateur and professional photographers alike, you can get your name out there and for a great cause. Lambton Wildlife Inc. is all about the community and nature, submit to share your photographic proof.
6) You will be showcasing Lambton County, it’s wildlife and our natural areas! The Great Lakes, Oak Savannahs, Tall Grass Prairies, Carolinian Forest and all the patches in between that our wildlife calls home. You’ll be representing the vote-less and the voiceless, the winged and the rooted, the important and oft underappreciated!
Did I mention we need more youth entries?
Tell your kids, tell your friends, tell your friends with kids, tell Facebook…you get the idea.